POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A red flag warning was issued for Polk County as two brush fires raged through Lakeland on Friday afternoon.
Officials responded to a fire around 12:25 pm on Sportsman Trail that burned through an estimated 2 to 3 acres. It’s now 30 percent contained and officials believe it was started by a lawn mower.
They say dry conditions and heavy fire fuel caused the fire to spread quickly over seven acres.
It destroyed a double wide home and a garage.
The fire was under control by 2:40 pm, according to officials.
Another brush fire was spotted at Socrum Loop Rd off US 98. Video from News Channel 8’s chopper caught the fire spreading towards a shed that firefighters knocked down pretty quickly.
Stay with WFLA.com for more updates on this developing situation.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- St. Pete man arrested for pruning bushes
- Carlie Brucia’s mother dies from heroin overdose in Polk County
- Cops look for Lakeland man who reportedly stole aunt’s wheelchair, gave it to girlfriend
- Cops: Clearwater woman shoves stun gun into teen driver’s face during road rage incident
- Singer Cuba Gooding Sr. found dead in car in Los Angeles
- Englewood family welcomes naturally conceived quadruplets
- Giraffe cam with April, baby to end