JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida judge sometimes wears yoga clothes under her black robe.
At noon on the last Friday of every month, Duval County Judge Eleni Derkie strips off the robe and heads to the front lawn of Jacksonville’s courthouse where she leads a yoga class that’s free to anyone who shows up.
The Florida Times-Union reports Derke has taught yoga since 2014 but says her counterparts in the legal profession aren’t always the easiest converts.
Courtroom bailiffs sometimes tease her, but Derke says yoga provides a few moments of peace during an otherwise stressful day. Sometimes, she’s even been known to urge jurors to stretch and take deep breaths during lengthy trials.
She’ll continue the classes this year until the weather gets too hot.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Tampa Bay area post offices open late for last-minute tax filers
- Sheriff: Pilot with loaded gun in backpack was scheduled to fly to Tampa
- Woman wakes up to find mountain lion snatching dog from bed
- Police: Singer Chris Brown punched photographer at Tampa club
- K9 officer honored with final salute before ending cancer battle
- VIDEO: Surfer rescues struggling sea lion pup