(WTLV/NBC News) Swarms of man o’ war jellyfish are making things rough for swimmers along parts of the Florida coast.
Max Ervanian with Jacksonville Beach Ocean Rescue says more than 25 people between the ages of 5 and 60 were stung by man o’ war this weekend at Jacksonville Beach.
A 15-year-old boy had to be taken to the hospital as a precaution but was released a short time later, according to Ervanian. Some people were stung while swimming, others stung when they tried to pick up or touch the man o’ war.
Ervanian said this is the first time in a long time he remembers this many people being stung.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Facebook video killing suspect Steve Stephens shoots himself to death
- Hudson mother claims SRO sent inappropriate messages to daughter
- Giraffe cam with April, baby to end
- Polk Co. woman arrested after posting Facebook live video
- Man accused of assaulting neighbor with stick in Hernando County
- Police: Singer Chris Brown punched photographer at Tampa club
- 14-year-old driver charged, 7 injured in crash on I-4 in Hillsborough
- Zoo shares new photo of April the giraffe’s healthy baby boy