TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Several businesses were damaged Tuesday morning after flames broke out at a sub shop in New Tampa.
Firefighters were called to Jersey Mike’s Subs on Bruce B Downs Boulevard around 2:45 a.m.
Responding crews say they found heavy fire inside the shop when they arrived.
Workers from a nearby Papa John’s pizza shop first noticed the smoke and called 911.
“Went over to the Jersey Mike’s and the windows were completely opaque,” said Robert Orr. “Couldn’t see through them. There was so much smoke inside the building.”
Crews performed two checks and found no one was in the shop, then checked three surrounding businesses to make sure the fire hadn’t spread.
Heavy smoke poured into a nearby brewery, pool supply store and smoke shop, officials said.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials tell us it took about 17 minutes to get the fire under control.
The fire is under investigation.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Police: Singer Chris Brown punched photographer at Tampa club
- K9 officer honored with final salute before ending cancer battle
- 14-year-old driver charged, 7 injured in crash on I-4 in Hillsborough
- Ocean search continues for missing 8-year-old boy near Volusia County
- Zoo shares new photo of April the giraffe’s healthy baby boy
- Report: Bride, groom who asked for upgrade booted off United flight
- EXCLUSIVE: Elderly choking victim opens up about brutal Palm Harbor attack