BOSTON (AP) – Andrew Benintendi hit a go-ahead, two-run single as Boston scored three unearned runs following a dropped throw by second baseman Brad Miller, and the Red Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays 4-3 on Monday in the annual Patriots’ Day game.
Benintendi had three singles in the 11:05 a.m. start, which coincides with the Boston Marathon, and the Red Sox won their third straight after losing the opener of the four-game series.
Knuckleballer Steven Wright (1-1) allowed three runs – one earned – and nine hits in six innings. He gave up four homers over 1 1/3 innings in his previous start.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Police find man sleeping on roof of Tampa church
- K9 officer honored with final salute before ending cancer battle
- 14-year-old driver charged, 7 injured in crash on I-4 in Hillsborough
- Ocean search continues for missing 8-year-old boy near Volusia County
- Zoo shares new photo of April the giraffe’s healthy baby boy
- Report: Bride, groom who asked for upgrade booted off United flight
- EXCLUSIVE: Elderly choking victim opens up about brutal Palm Harbor attack