SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA)- A Sarasota couple is facing child neglect charges after a witness spotted their 3-year-old boy wandering alone near the US-41 bypass late Friday night, wearing only a diaper.
The child’s parents, Ryan Wayman, 38 and Trieste Wayman, 36 were reportedly at a bar when the incident occurred, according to the Venice Police Department.
A Good Samaritan found the toddler around 10:21 pm near the 385 N. Bypass 41 in Venice and alerted police.
As they searched for his parents, police noticed an open door to a room at a nearby Motel 6 and found three other kids between the ages of one and 14 asleep with no adults present.
The Department of Children and Families were called to the scene to take custody of the children.
The Wayman’s eventually returned to the motel and told detectives they were working at the time of the incident, but an investigation later revealed they were at a local bar.
The couple was arrested and each charged with four counts of child neglect.
Stay on WFLA.com for more updates on this developing story.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- April the Giraffe gives birth: What to expect after the baby is born
- Ex-NFL player driving truck that ran over, killed daughter
- North Port police search for robbery suspect
- Tampa man gets stuck in air duct while hiding from cops, freezes
- ‘Cash me ousside’ teen appears in Florida court to face felony charges
- WATCH: Horse attacks alligator in Alachua County
- Afghan official: Massive US bomb death toll rises to 94