MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) — A central Florida woman has been sentenced to life in prison for killing another woman and then using her credit cards to buy thousands of dollars’ worth of high-end electronics.
Florida Today reports that 37-year-old Jennifer Rose Trent was sentenced Wednesday after being convicted of first-degree murder, organized fraud and using the identification of a deceased person.
Authorities say 70-year-old Doris Johnston was killed in January 2015 after allowing Trent and her 7-year-old son to move in to her Barefoot Bay home. Investigators say Trent struck Johnston in the head and left her in a laundry room shed for several days before suffocating the older woman with a plastic trash bag.
Police began investigating after the victim’s son couldn’t reach her, and Trent told him that his mother had gone to Chicago.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- ‘Witch’ gets life in prison for terrorizing grandchild
- ‘Cash me ousside’ teen appears in Florida court to face felony charges
- Deputies: Tampa man gets stuck in air duct while hiding from cops, freezes
- 4 men arrested in Polk County during undercover sting operation targeting lewd activity
- Clearwater Police officer reunites scared 6-year-old with family on beach
- Ex-NFL star Hernandez acquitted in Boston double murder
- Deputies: Palm Harbor man chokes elderly woman walking her dog with metal leash
>>> MORE TOP STORIES