TORONTO (AP) – Brayden Point scored two goals and the Tampa Bay Lightning kept their slim playoff hopes alive by beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1 on Thursday night.
Nikita Kucherov and Michael Bournival also scored for the Lightning, who prevented the Maple Leafs from clinching their first postseason berth in four years. There is only one spot remaining in the Eastern Conference after Ottawa clinched a berth with a 2-1 shootout win at Boston.
Toronto, which would have clinched with a win, needs two points over its final two games – against Pittsburgh and Columbus – to beat out the Lightning and New York Islanders for the last spot.
Nazem Kadri scored the only goal for Toronto, with Frederik Andersen surrendering four goals on 30 shots.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Crash on Howard Frankland Bridge Wednesday snarled traffic for hours
- Hernando teacher fired after assignment asks students controversial questions
- Dead gator found in FGCU dorm room, students issued warnings
- Woman found wet, mostly naked – says she is a mermaid
- Baby giraffe facts: What to expect after April’s baby is born