TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A fatal crash on the Howard Frankland Bridge backed up traffic on Interstate-275 for hours on Wednesday.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the fatal accident happened around 4:05 p.m. in the southbound lanes on the Hillsborough side of the bridge.
Investigators say Barry Anderson, 69 from Jacksonville lost control of his 2008 KIA Spectra. The car drove into the inside shoulder and hit a concrete barrier wall, then overturned multiple times along the barrier wall and caught fire.
Anderson died at the scene of the crash.
The crash happened just as the afternoon rush hour began. Roads leading to I-275 were backed up. Drivers had to used other bridges to cross Tampa Bay, which caused extremely long delays on the Gandy bridge, the Courtney Campbell Causeway and on Hillsborough Avenue in Tampa and Oldsmar.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Bradenton police officer speaks out after eye gouging attack
- Military F-16 crashes in Maryland during training mission
- VIDEO: 2 men save stranger from sinking car in Winter Haven lake
- Woman found wet, mostly naked – says she is a mermaid
- Motorcyclist lucky to be alive after mattress flies out of truck, into his lane
- Baby giraffe facts: What to expect after April’s baby is born