ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) – CC Sabathia was sharp in his first start, Ronald Torreyes and Chase Headley homered and the New York Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays 5-0 Tuesday night for their first victory this season.
Starting his 17th major league season and the final year of his Yankees contract, the 36-year-old Sabathia (1-0) limited the team he has faced more than any other to three singles and a pair of walks in five innings.
Five relievers finished the five-hitter. Dellin Betances retired Logan Morrison on a bases-loaded grounder that ended the eighth inning and Aroldis Chapman, back with the Yankees after agreeing to an $86 million, five-year contract, threw a perfect ninth.
Traded to the Chicago Cubs by New York last July, Chapman reached 100 mph on four of 14 pitches, including his last, when Daniel Robertson struck out as his bat went flying into the third-base dugout and into the seats.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Teenage boy missing from Manatee County
- Unique golf experience coming to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa
- Hillsborough considers changing school start and end times
- Charlotte County woman catches adorable baby gator parade on camera
- Family, friends continue to search for missing Tampa teen needing bipolar disorder medication
- Baby giraffe facts: What to expect after April’s baby is born
- Better Call Behnken: Just Brakes officials respond after insurance fails to cover man’s damages