(WESH/NBC News) Astronauts blasting off from Cape Canaveral now have a new safety mechanism in place in case something goes wrong.
The zipline system can whisk astronauts away from Launch Pad 41 at speeds approaching 40 miles per hour.
Pad 41 is the planned launch site for Atlas V rockets and Boeing Starliner capsules scheduled to begin lifting off from Cape Canaveral next year.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Teenage boy missing from Manatee County
- Unique golf experience coming to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa
- Hillsborough considers changing school start and end times
- Charlotte County woman catches adorable baby gator parade on camera
- Family, friends continue to search for missing Tampa teen needing bipolar disorder medication
- Baby giraffe facts: What to expect after April’s baby is born
- Better Call Behnken: Just Brakes officials respond after insurance fails to cover man’s damages