ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Corey Dickerson of the Tampa Bay Rays has gotten the first hit of the new Major League Baseball season and also scored the first run.
Dickerson singled against New York Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka to lead off the bottom of the first inning Sunday at Tropicana Field. Dickerson later scored on a sacrifice fly by Evan Longoria as part of a three-run inning.
Chris Archer started the season by throwing a ball to Yankees leadoff man Brett Gardner.
New York manager Joe Girardi lost the first replay challenge of the year. Yankees newcomer Matt Holliday was called out at first base on a grounder in the first inning and the call stood up.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 1 child dies, several found unconscious in hotel pool after possible carbon monoxide poisoning
- Police: Panama City pair getting tattoos left crying and screaming kids, ages 2 and 3, in car
- Police look for teen in connection to gruesome Tampa homicide after burned body found in backyard
- Sanford PD told woman to “stop calling 911” hours before she was killed
- Pregnant teacher had sex, exchanged naked photos with student, 15, affidavit says
- Baby giraffe facts: What to expect after April’s baby is born