TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Morgan Rielly and Matt Martin scored 15 seconds apart during Toronto’s four-goal second period, Frederik Andersen made 33 saves and the Maple Leafs moved into the lead for the second Eastern Conference wild-card spot by beating the Tampa Bay Lightning 5-0 on Thursday night.
Roman Polak, Connor Brown and James van Riemsdyk also scored for Toronto, which was coming off a 7-2 loss Tuesday night at Florida. The Maple Leafs hold a one-point advantage over Tampa Bay and the New York Islanders.
Tampa Bay, 12-3-3 over its last 18 games, pulled Andrei Vasilevskiy six minutes into the second after he allowed four goals on 15 shots. The goalie had gone 6-0-1 over his previous seven games.
After Rielly scored 2:24 into the second, Martin made it 3-0 on the next shift. Brown, on the power play, and van Riemsdyk added goals later in the period.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Man arrested after mobile home fire in Pasco County
- Pinellas man accused in deadly shooting over donuts to appear in court
- Protecting yourself from exploding batteries
- Large number of alumni from a Bradenton high school battling cancer
- Lakeland homeowner has special reason to file lawsuit over possibly contaminated land
- Forgotten stash of weed donated to Goodwill