LEALMAN, Fla. (WFLA) – It’s a story so strange, so bizarre, you’d swear it was made up. But, what happened Wednesday morning in a Pinellas County neighborhood was no work of fiction. This was real life, and it was terrifying.
The oddest and most unusual part of this mass shoot-out is the way it began – over doughnuts.
Investigators said a 25-year-old son was angry that his mother would not go buy doughnuts for him. But, it doesn’t end there.
The young man was also angry that his mom was engaged to a registered sex offender, who was living in their home.
An epic fight over pastries would lead to a deadly day in Lealman.
In the end, the son shot the sex offender at close range with a shotgun, the sheriff said.
The young man, who has a history of mental illness and violence against his mother, terrorized the entire neighborhood, spraying dozens of bullets in every direction, nearly hitting parents and children, according to detectives.
During the rampage, a deputy was hit by gunfire the leg as he tried to stop the 25-year-old.
How did a young man with a history of mental illness and domestic violence get his hands on an arsenal of weapons? Why was he armed to the teeth? And, what tool did he have in his home to track deputies every step of the way as they tried to stop the rampage from happening?
Melanie Michael is live in the neighborhood tonight, tracking every step of this case. She also speaks with a cancer patient who lives next door and was terrified when the gun fire began. It is the story that you have to see to believe, and even then, it doesn’t seem real.
The story, coming up tonight on News Channel 8 at 11 p.m.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Eaglet E9 falls from tree, flies for first time
- Kidnapped Valrico mother of 5 found safe
- Family mourns teen killed in alcohol-related crash in Pinellas
- Child welfare agency: Florida girl who live streamed suicide suffered abuse
- TRAGEDY: Boyfriend discovered scene of girlfriend’s deadly crash minutes after it happened
- Brevard deputy rescues jet skiers from path of cruise ship
- Bartow woman accused of killing 3 children by setting fire to home