PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA)— An 18-year-old man was arrested in connection to an alchohol-fueled crash that killed a teenager in Clearwater.
Authorities say Donovan L. Patterson of Pinellas Park was driving a Dodge Caliber under the influence when he ran a red light and collided with a Ford pickup truck carrying Jocelyn Schirmer, 17, Dalton Cox, 22, Paul Schirmer, 17, Caleb Lindsay, 20 and Kianna Diaz and Jayla Simpson, both 15.
The truck overturned and Jocelyn Schirmer sustained fatal injuries.
Investigators say both drivers were impaired.
Good Samaritan and former soldier DonShay Inmon saw the crash, and pulled several of the victims out of Patterson’s burning vehicle.
“I jumped out my car, so I started grabbing people and so I pulled maybe three people into the median,” he said. “It was completely scary, blood was everywhere.”
Patterson was transported to Tampa General Hospital and arrested following his release. He’s been charged with DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and several counts of DUI involving serious bodily injury.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Eaglet E9 falls from tree, flies for first time
- Kidnapped Valrico mother of 5 found safe
- Family mourns teen killed in alcohol-related crash in Pinellas
- Child welfare agency: Florida girl who live streamed suicide suffered abuse
- TRAGEDY: Boyfriend discovered scene of girlfriend’s deadly crash minutes after it happened
- Brevard deputy rescues jet skiers from path of cruise ship
- Bartow woman accused of killing 3 children by setting fire to home