TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Fire investigators say a 3-alarm fire at a Tampa apartment complex Thursday was caused by discarded smoking material.
The fire broke out at an apartment complex called The Province, which is located at 10921 McKinley Drive, between Busch Boulevard and Fowler Avenue.
The fire involved four units at the complex, which is near the University of South Florida.
The fire started on the second-floor balcony of a unit and caused major smoke and fire damage throughout the building.
No residents were injured, but a firefighter was taken to Tampa General Hospital for evaluation after sustaining a minor injury while fighting the fire.
The apartment managers will be helping USF students who were evacuated because of the fire.
Damage to the building and the contents of multiple units is estimated at $70,000.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Judge: Casey Anthony may have accidentally killed daughter
- Home Depot to hire 1,350 in Tampa Bay area
- Family, neighbors devastated by death of 2 year-old left in hot car in Brandon
- Hillsborough detention deputy injured when inmate tries to strangle him
- Sarasota Co. first responders witness woman pass off meth to 5-year-old
- Florida Strawberry Festival: Entertainment Schedule & What to know before you go
>>>>> BACK TO TOP STORIES