ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Expanding Al Lang Stadium, where the Tampa Bay Rowdies play, is now in the hands of voters.
Thursday, St. Pete City council members approved to put the referendum on a ballot.
This is a huge step forward for the Rowdies, who recently put in a bid to join Major League Soccer.
If the vote passes, talks of terms of a use agreement will begin.
Several dozen people spoke during the final reading at the city council meeting Thursday.
Majority were in favor of the referendum.
Downtown St. Pete residents who oppose the expansion asked city leaders to consider the heavy traffic into the city and the unwanted noise from events when the Rowdies are not playing.
The vote will happen May 2nd.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Judge: Casey Anthony may have accidentally killed daughter
- Home Depot to hire 1,350 in Tampa Bay area
- Family, neighbors devastated by death of 2 year-old left in hot car in Brandon
- Hillsborough detention deputy injured when inmate tries to strangle him
- Sarasota Co. first responders witness woman pass off meth to 5-year-old
- Florida Strawberry Festival: Entertainment Schedule & What to know before you go
>>>>> BACK TO TOP STORIES