TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A Tampa police officer shot and killed a pit bull that had mauled a poodle to death on Monday morning.
Police say a man was walking his poodle named Simba near his home on N. 37th Street at 5:55 am when two pit bulls escaped from another home and mauled the dog to death.
Police officers arrived to find the poodle dead. The pit bulls then attacked the officers, who shot at the pit bulls, killing one and seriously injuring the other. The injured pit bull was transported to Pet Resources and humanely euthanized due to the severe injuries it sustained.
Neither the officer or the poodle’s owner reported injuries.
The incident is under investigation and other aspects of the case are being investigated by Hillsborough County Animal Control.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- Teenager shot to death after young girl sneaks him in house
- AP Exclusive: Ex-congregants reveal years of ungodly abuse, say children are in danger
- Los Angeles Kings acquire Ben Bishop in trade with Tampa Bay Lightning
- WATCH: Animal park awaits birth of baby giraffe
- Lake Gibson Middle School asst. principal killed in apparent double-murder, suicide in Brandon
- Banned license plates in Florida
- Actor Bill Paxton dies at age 61