FLORAL CITY, Fla. (AP) – Police have identified a man who was fatally shot by officers after he was suspected of firing a gun at a pipeline construction site and fleeing.
The Citrus County Sheriff’s Office said on its Facebook page that 66-year-old James Leroy Marker was killed on Sunday by officers after he shot and damaged a section of the Sabal Trail pipeline in north Florida.
The office says the pipeline, which will transport natural gas from Alabama to Florida, was damaged extensively.
Authorities say Marker fled after shooting the pipe and was eventually stopped by officers. The sheriff’s office says he “engaged with law enforcement” before being fatally shot.
Three Citrus County deputies have been placed on administrative leave while a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation occurs.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON NOW-
- Seminole County woman accused of trying to kill husband after alleged affair
- Teenager shot to death after young girl sneaks him in house
- Deputies seek man who robbed Brandon ATM customer at gunpoint
- Undercover detectives arrest six men for indecent exposure, solicitation at Caspersen Beach
- 7-foot-7 ‘Game of Thrones’ actor Neil Fingleton dies at 36
- WATCH: Animal park awaits birth of baby giraffe