WASHINGTON (AP) – The National Zoo in Washington is saying a final goodbye to its panda cub Bao Bao.
The zoo is packing up the American-born panda for a one-way flight Tuesday to China, where the 3-year-old will eventually join a panda breeding program.
Bao Bao is scheduled to leave the zoo Tuesday morning and fly from Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia to Chengdu, China, on Tuesday afternoon.
The cub won’t have to worry about finding overhead bin space or dealing with a talkative seatmate on the 16-hour, nonstop flight. She’ll be the only panda on the plane, traveling with a keeper and a veterinarian.
In preparation for the trip, keepers have packed Bao Bao’s favorite foods, including bamboo, apples and sweet potatoes.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- You Paid For It: Pinellas Co. shuts down for Tropicana Field event
- Marion County high school teacher arrested on molestation charge
- Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office employee fired after DUI arrest
- Flagler County man wearing child’s underwear arrested on child abuse charge
- Results are in for annual Florida manatee count