CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — The City of Clearwater has a “bright and beautiful” new logo that symbolizes the city from “Bay to Beach” and You Paid For It.
The cost to taxpayers was roughly $200,000 to imagine, design and implement the new logo.
“We’re in the 21st century. We felt this was a good investment to attract new businesses,” said Mayor George Cretekos.
Cretekos believes it was well worth the cost. “I had looked at it from the standpoint of, ‘how do we market Clearwater in the 21st century? How do we incorporate all of Clearwater into the logo and it being part of the community?’” Cretekos said.
The end result of a visioning process by consultants who were paid $100,000 to dream up and create the artwork, changed the old logo, that featured a large sun and waves, into something that is more abstract and features swirling lines of blue, green and tan colors.
The Mayor insists the logo is supposed to represent much more than “the city’s crown jewel beaches.”
A second marketing firm rolled out the logo and implemented the new branding for an additional $50,000 and the city spent another $50,000 changing out signs and decals.
“The artwork implies that we have blue skies, we have blue waters, but we also have a trail system and a park system that is inviting to people, and we have an opportunity for you to see beyond the horizon,” Cretekos said. “Clearwater is much more than sea and sand.”
Maybe so, but residents News Channel 8 showed the new logo to didn’t much like the price tag they paid for it. “Oh gosh, probably not,” said Pat Scott. “Why don’t they have a competition they would have wonderful results. You know how many artists there are in the area, hundreds of them.”
Laura Daniel likes the modern look of the new logo. “I think it’s nice and I like the ‘Bay to Beach,’ it really tells the story of what we have,” said Daniel. But, she also questions the process that lead to it’s $200,000 cost.
“I know that there were consultants hired and this is what happens in the government,” Daniel said.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- Disney World worker arrested on child porn charges; deputies fear there are more victims
- Royal Caribbean cruise ship stuck at port over safety issue
- You Paid For It: Whistleblower lawsuit alleges millions in Pinellas Sunstar ambulance kickbacks
- Playboy magazine reverses position, brings back naked women
- Deputies: Polk teens killed man during sexual encounter, then set him on fire
- Better Call Behnken: Man claims Tampa salesman ripped him off, pickets in front of office
- Polk deputy shoots, kills attacking pit bull