SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say a woman and her teenage daughter were found dead in a South Florida home after a man had barricaded himself inside for nearly five hours.
Sunrise police spokeswoman Michelle Eddy told local media outlets that 32-year-old Kevin Nelson surrendered peacefully Monday afternoon.
The standoff began around 11 a.m., when someone called 911 saying they heard shots fired at the Del Rio Village complex. Police responded and contacted Nelson by phone. After initially hanging up on police, Eddy says a crisis negotiation team eventually convinced Nelson to come out of the townhouse.
Inside, officers found the 40-year-old woman and her 15-year-old daughter dead from gunshot wounds. Eddy says the older woman lived there with Nelson. The teen was not directly related to Nelson.
Authorities haven’t named either victim.
STAY CONNECTED: Get today’s top stories delivered straight to your inbox. Click to sign up!
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- Royal Caribbean cruise ship stuck at port over safety issue
- You Paid For It: Whistleblower lawsuit alleges millions in Pinellas Sunstar ambulance kickbacks
- Playboy magazine reverses position, brings back naked women
- Deputies: Polk teens killed man during sexual encounter, then set him on fire
- Better Call Behnken: Man claims Tampa salesman ripped him off, pickets in front of office
- Polk deputy shoots, kills attacking pit bull