GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WFLA) – A University of Florida student was killed Saturday when he was struck by a drunk driver in Gainesville.
Karan Khullar, 22, was waiting at a bus stop with his friends outside Campus Club Apartments on S.W. 37th St. when Guerrero Damaris, 23, was driving under the influence of alcohol and struck him while driving a Hyundai Sonata, according to the Gainesville Police Department.
After hitting Khullar, Damaris continued driving until Florida Highway Patrol troopers located her in Marion County.
Khullar died at the scene.
Police say Damaris’ Sonata was still spitting sparks from the crash when she was stopped. Her blood alcohol level was at .14, which is nearly double the legal limit.
Damaris will be sent back to Alachua County to face charges of DUI manslaughter and leaving the scene of a crash involving a death.
Khullar had just begun school at UF as an international student from India in January.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- Plane carrying 3 people vanishes during flight from Brooksville to Cedar Key
- Sumter County deputies find dead woman on side of road
- Former Miami Dolphin Quentin Moses, 2 others die in house fire
- Breaking Bad’ in Florida? Meth lab discovered in RV; 2 arrested
- No daddy, no dance for Clearwater 2nd grader
- Sargento recalls cheese due to possible contamination
- Woman has no regrets for writing brutally honest obituary for father
- Disney increasing park tickets prices for certain times of year