RAEFORD, N.C. (WNCN) — Deputies rescued a woman Tuesday who had been chained up in a shed in Hoke County, North Carolina, authorities said.
Deputies responding to a disturbance at a property in the 200 block of Quick Wilkerson Road in Raeford heard a commotion from a shed behind the residence, according to the Hoke County Sheriff’s Office.
When deputies looked in the shed, they found a woman restrained with rope and chain. She reported she had been tied up and placed in the shed against her will, deputies said.
Gary Alen McNair was detained at the scene and has been charged with second-degree kidnapping, authorities said.
McNair, 52, lives in the 600 block of Ray Street in Raeford.
His mother said it was she who called police. She heard a noise when she was on the back porch feeding her cats and didn’t know what was going on, she said.
“I said, ‘Oh my God! What in the world?’ I hurried up and shut my door,” Verdell McNair said.
She said she went and got a gun.
“My gun was loaded, because I didn’t know what was going on,” she said.
McNair is expected in court on Wednesday.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- VIDEO: Man rescued from inside garbage truck in Tampa
- 3 Women Killed: Florida Panhandle sheriff warns public about murder suspects
- Cops: Florida Walmart customer shoots, kills teen suspected of stealing cart of diapers
- Genealogy website causes privacy concerns, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay calls it ‘dangerous’
- Deputies: Man took photos of woman changing in Brandon Sears dressing room
- Couple arrested after child found outside Miami mall with split lip, ‘hollow’ molars
- Police: Jacksonville 8-year-old boy shoots younger brother, kills sister, age 5
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or suspended by Florida Supreme Court