TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Firefighters rescued a man who was trapped inside of a garbage truck in Tampa on Wednesday morning.
At 5:15 a.m. the driver of a Waste Management truck was making rounds and heard a man calling for help. The driver realized the screams were coming from his truck. Sometime during his morning route, a man who was sleeping in a dumpster, was deposited into the garbage truck along with the contents of the dumpster.
Tampa Police Department officers and Tampa Fire Rescue crews used heavy equipment to pull the man from the garbage truck, which was parked at a shopping center along Hillsborough Avenue west of Dale Mabry Highway. The man was strapped to a stretcher, then hoisted out of the garbage truck, at 6:45 a.m.
It appears as though the man will be okay. He is being evaluated now.
The driver of the truck, as well as his supervisor were at the scene during the rescue. They could not comment about the incident, but say this has not happened on that particular route before.
Stay with WFLA.com for updates about this story.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- 3 Women Killed: Florida Panhandle sheriff warns public about murder suspects
- Cops: Florida Walmart customer shoots, kills teen suspected of stealing cart of diapers
- Genealogy website causes privacy concerns, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay calls it ‘dangerous’
- Deputies: Man took photos of woman changing in Brandon Sears dressing room
- Couple arrested after child found outside Miami mall with split lip, ‘hollow’ molars
- Police: Jacksonville 8-year-old boy shoots younger brother, kills sister, age 5
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or suspended by Florida Supreme Court