PORT OF TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A mystery at the Port of Tampa has taken a surprising turn. Deputies say the man found floating in Mckay Bay on Friday was a disgraced Polk County doctor.
Police say Aaron Roush was found wearing a bathing suit, his bike was chained up nearby and his clothes were folded up neatly.
Roush’s life started to spiral out of control in 2013. A pain management doctor, he operated Uphoria Medical Spa in Lakeland.
In March of 2013, deputies arrested Roush and charged him with trafficking in prescription drugs.
Undercover Polk County Sheriff’s Office detectives say Roush prescribed powerful narcotics without performing an exam.
During his arrest, Doctor Roush told us that he was not prescribing prescriptions illegally.
Roush ultimately lost his medical license and had struggled over the past several years. He lost his 10-year-old son a few months after his arrest, and faced allegations that he violated his probation late last year.
His death is still an ongoing investigation. A Tampa Police Department spokesperson said foul play is not suspected in Roush’s death.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- 3 Women Killed: Florida Panhandle sheriff warns public about murder suspects
- Cops: Florida Walmart customer shoots, kills teen suspected of stealing cart of diapers
- Genealogy website causes privacy concerns, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay calls it ‘dangerous’
- Deputies: Man took photos of woman changing in Brandon Sears dressing room
- Couple arrested after child found outside Miami mall with split lip, ‘hollow’ molars
- Police: Jacksonville 8-year-old boy shoots younger brother, kills sister, age 5
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or suspended by Florida Supreme Court