BARTOW, Fla. (WFLA) – Bartow High School was on lock down Tuesday afternoon after the school received a report that a student had a concealed gun.
The Bartow Police Department confirmed no weapon was found at the school.
Police said they were notified of initial reports of a student observed carrying an unknown type of firearm in a gym-style bag.
The school was put on lock down based on this information as officers began a coordinated deployment through the school, assisted by the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
The 17-year-old student was interviewed and the report was confirmed to be a hoax. Police said the student had made up the story and admitted a firearm was never observed.
When officers learned this information and when the school was cleared of threats, students were released from the school at 2:30 p.m.
Police took the reporting student into custody for an involuntary mental evaluation.
Charges related to disruption of a school and false reporting of an incident are pending.
The student’s name will not be released due to the child’s age and mental health status.
Bartow High School is located at 1270 S. Broadway Ave. in Bartow.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- 3 Women Killed: Florida Panhandle sheriff warns public about murder suspects
- Cops: Florida Walmart customer shoots, kills teen suspected of stealing cart of diapers
- Genealogy website causes privacy concerns, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay calls it ‘dangerous’
- Deputies: Man took photos of woman changing in Brandon Sears dressing room
- Couple arrested after child found outside Miami mall with split lip, ‘hollow’ molars
- Police: Jacksonville 8-year-old boy shoots younger brother, kills sister, age 5
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or suspended by Florida Supreme Court