LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – A community came together this weekend to honor a 17-year-old boy who was hit and killed while walking to his bus stop.
A memorial bench was unveiled for Kalen Kirk, who was hit while crossing Clubhouse Road last May. He died from his injuries.
His family tells us their homeowners association offered to put up the bench as a public memorial and Saturday they wanted to celebrate the memorial and Kalen’s memory.
“This is just a gathering of friends, and family, people that loved Kalen, people that know us.. people that don’t even know us.. and that’s the beauty of what we have going on today. It’s about community,” Lisa and Tony Kirk said.
His parents tell us there is still work to be done to make the road safer.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police: ALF worker beat patient with a hollow leg brace repeatedly
- Tiny houses a game changer for big game tailgating
- Board: Casino served player 27 drinks in 9 hours
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys disbarred or suspended by Florida Supreme Court
- DOJ asks court to stay order on travel ban