Doctor: Common bacteria caused Thanksgiving dinner deaths

A woman walks in front of the American Legion Hall, which served a free Thanksgiving dinner, in Antioch, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016. San Francisco Bay Area health officials were trying to determine if three people who died and five who were sickened after eating the Thanksgiving dinner at a church event held at the American Legion Hall got sick there or at the assisted living facility where they all lived. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)

ANTIOCH, Calif. (AP) — A common food-borne bacteria caused an illness that left three people dead and sickened 22 others who attended a dinner at an events hall in the San Francisco suburb of Antioch on Thanksgiving Day, health officials said Tuesday.

Dr. Louise McNitt, deputy health officer with Contra Costa County Health Services, said the deaths and illnesses were caused by bacteria named Clostridium perfringens.

“Clostridium perfringens is one of the most common foodborne illnesses in the U.S. It can be found in the human intestine without hurting us, but eating food containing large amounts of this bacteria can cause illness and in some cases death,” McNitt said. The bacteria can be found in the soil, in people and in animals, she said.

Officials identified the three people who died as Christopher Cappetti, 43, Chooi Keng Cheah, 59, and Jane Evans, 69. All were residents of assisted living facilities in Antioch.

The bacteria was likely found in one of the food items that wasn’t cooked to the right temperature or held at the right temperature when eaten, McNitt said.

It was not determined which dish contained it.

However, officials said that after extensive interviews, it was determined that those who were sickened and died ate turkey and mashed potatoes. They also ate around the same time of day.

Some dishes served at the event, including cooked turkey, were brought to the site after they were prepared in private homes.

McNitt said most strains of the bacteria are harmless and that there is no way to measure what would have been a lethal level in the victims.

“This bacteria usually causes fairly mild symptoms, such as stomach cramping and diarrhea that lasts for 6 to 12 hours,” said McNitt, adding that it can more adversely impact those with compromised immune systems. “It can vary from person to person as to how they react to illness.”

Officials said proper food handling is essential to prevent foodborne illness, including cooking foods to proper temperatures; cooling and storing them appropriately if they’re not going to be eaten right away; separating raw meats from foods that won’t be cooked; storing food properly; and washing hands and cooking surfaces often.

“We’re saddened for the families that suffered losses this holiday season. We encourage anyone planning charity events where food will be served to the public to contact us to understand the permitting process and to learn about food safety,” said Dr. Marilyn Underwood, environmental health director for the county.

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s