Homestyle Sides: SAUSAGE, ARTICHOKE, AND PARMESAN STUFFING, SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE, & PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY PIE
Sausage, Artichoke, and Parmesan Stuffing
Active Time – 15 minutes, Total Time – 55 minutes (Makes 12 Servings)
1 lb mild Italian sausage, casing removed
1 (12-oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 1/2 (5-oz) bags garlic/butter croutons
1/2 cup trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or stock)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Chop artichokes into bite-size pieces. Crumble sausage and place in 13- x 9-inch baking dish; bake 8–10
2. Remove sausage from oven and crumble into fine pieces. Stir in artichokes, croutons, trinity mix, chicken broth, and cheese. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes.
3. Remove foil; bake 10 more minutes or until browned. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 270kcal; FAT 18g; SAT FAT 4.5g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 25mg; SODIUM 800mg; CARB 14g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 1g; PROTEIN 12g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 6%; CALC 6%; IRON 4%
Summer Squash Casserole
Active Time – 20 minutes, Total Time – 40 minutes (Makes 9 Servings)
1 1/2 lb fresh yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 medium fresh onion, finely chopped
2 medium fresh carrots, coarsely shredded
1 tablespoon water
1 (3.5-oz) stick herb garlic butter
1 (18.5-oz) can chicken corn chowder
1 (8-oz) bag shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cornbread stuffing mix
2 tablespoons cooked bacon pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice squash and chop onion (1 cup). Combine squash, onions, and water in microwave-safe bowl;
microwave on HIGH for 7–8 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, shred carrots.
2. Drain squash VERY thoroughly in colander. Combine squash mixture, chowder, carrots, 1 cup cheese, salt, and pepper until
3. Melt butter in microwave; combine with stuffing mix. Place one-half of the stuffing in bottom of 2-quart baking dish. Top with squash mixture.
4. Stir remaining 1 cup cheese and bacon into other half of stuffing; spread over squash layer. Bake 15–20 minutes or until topping is crisp and brown and sauce bubbles around edge of dish. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/9 recipe) 330kcal; FAT 21g; SAT FAT 11g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 50mg; SODIUM 650mg; CARB 27g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 5g; PROTEIN 10g; VIT A 120%; VIT C 8%; CALC 20%; IRON 6%
Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie
Active Time – 20 minutes, Total Time – up to 2 hours (Makes 8 Servings)
1 (8-oz) package cream cheese
12 oz frozen whipped topping (about 4 1/2 cups, divided)
1/3 cup grape (or strawberry) jelly
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 prepared graham cracker or cookie crumb pie crust
1. Let cream cheese and whipped topping stand at room temperature to soften. Whisk jelly to make it smooth and pourable.
2. Whisk together 1/3 cup condensed milk and 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping until smooth; set aside.
3. Combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and remaining 1/2 cup condensed milk in bowl of electric mixer; mix with paddle attachment until smooth. Add sugar and mix until blended.
4. Fold in remaining 3 cups whipped topping, using a rubber spatula, until well blended. Pour one-half of this mixture into pie crust.
5. Pour jelly evenly over peanut butter mixture, then pour milk mixture over jelly. Top with remaining half of peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate (or freeze) 1–2 hours or until pie has set. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 620kcal; FAT 34g; SAT FAT 17g; TRANS FAT 2.5g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 300mg; CARB 69g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 53g; PROTEIN 9g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 2%; CALC 15%; IRON 6%