ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – A family, including a four-day-old baby, escaped a house fire early Wednesday morning.
Mark Kaigler had just fed his little boy and laid down to sleep when his step-daughter frantically ran into the room around 12:30 a.m.
“My step-daughter came and woke me up and said ‘Mark! Somebody knocked on the door and said the back porch is on fire,’” Kaigler told News Channel 8.
He ran outside and saw flames. They were spreading and devouring the back porch at the home along 53rd Avenue North in St. Petersburg.
“Got my newborn kid and rushed outside,” Kaigler said.
He tried to put out the fire with buckets of water, but to no avail. Moments later, the fire department showed up and got it under control.
“I believe we would’ve been smoked out,” he said. “My newborn kid and all. That smoke probably would’ve killed my kid.”
In the end, everyone was okay, thanks to the quick actions of a neighbor. Fire officials believe an electrical issue started the fire.