Jack-o’-lantern lighting sends Florida girl to burn center

58dfb8bc25c24f79b9bfdf28fc6750b0

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say a 7-year-old girl ended up at a north Florida burn center after her grandmother attempted to light their jack-o’-lantern with green flames using household chemicals.

The Florida Times-Union reports that 62-year-old Wanda Michelle Reyna called 911 Sunday evening, saying that fire had splattered on her granddaughter, so she threw the girl into the St. Augustine home’s pool. The girl’s father was already driving the girl to the hospital, but dispatchers diverted him to the nearest fire station.

St. Johns County Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Jeremy Robshaw says the girl was taken to a Gainesville hospital.

A sheriff’s office report says the family had been following a YouTube video to make green flames.

It was not immediately clear what injuries the girl suffered but Reyna told the Times-Union Monday that the girl was fine and that the sheriff’s office was blowing the accident out of proportion.

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s