BRADENTON, Fla. (Manatee County School District) — To make up the school day lost to Hurricane Matthew, the School Board voted to make Monday, October 24, 2016, a full day of school for students, instead of a day off for students and an In-service Day for teachers as originally scheduled.
The School District had to close all schools on Friday, October 7, 2016, because local and state emergency management officials asked the school district to open five schools for shelters during Hurricane Matthew.
The School District had already lost two days of school (Sept. 1-2) due to Hurricane Hermine. On September 27, 2016, the School Board approved the following measures to make up those two lost days:
- Remove October 5, 2016 as a Professional Learning Early Release (Students will attend a full day)
- Remove December 7, 2016 as a Professional Learning Early Release (Students will attend a full day)
- Adjust the start of winter break and end the first semester on December 22, 2016, instead of December 21, 2016 (Student and Staff make-up day)
- Winter Break will start on Friday, December 23, 2016
In addition, at last night’s meeting the School Board approved the following revisions to the 2016-2017 Academic Calendar:
- Monday, December 19, 2016, will be a full day of School for all students, not an early release day for high school students as originally planned.
- Thursday, December 22, 2016 will be a half day for high school students.
- The last day for Teachers and Paraprofessional will be a District In-Service Day on Friday, June 2, 2017.
PHOTOS: Tracking Hurricane Matthew in Florida
PHOTOS: Tracking Hurricane Matthew in Florida x
Photos: Timeline of eaglet E9 hatching, second egg still incubating
Photos: Truck crashes into Pasco Co house, injuring 4
Top ten celebrity homes to hit the market in 2016
PHOTOS: Polk Co. Sheriff’s Office ‘Elf on the Shelf’
George Michael: Through The Years
Christmas card features cute fire department babies
Photos: 19 sea turtles delivered to Tampa area for rehabilitation
Portion of famous Belleview Biltmore Hotel to be moved
Fatal accident in Tampa blocking Dale Mabry Highway intersection
TAKE A TOUR: President-elect Trump’s first mansion