Weather Resources/Maps To Track Matthew:
- Active Alerts
- Live Interactive Radar – Track Matthew. Every hour of the day.
- Tropic Maps – See the latest track, spaghetti models and tropical satellites
- Current Conditions – The very latest temperatures, rainfall, and visibility in Tampa Bay area counties
- Hurricane-Ready – Powerful information to help you prepare before, during and after the hurricane
Here’s where you can get sandbags. We will be updating this list as we receive information about new sandbag locations.
The City of Tampa Makes sandbags available to residents in preparation for heavy rain. Sandbags will be available to city residents at three locations-
- Bobby Hicks Pool
- Barksdale Active Adult Center
- Jackson Heights Playground.
Hours of operation will be 10am- 7pm
Residents may pick-up sandbags at the following locations:
- Bobby Hicks Pool, 4201 W. Mango Ave.
- Barksdale Active Adult Center at MacFarlane Park 1801 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Jackson Heights Community Center, 3310 E. Lake Avenue
Tampa residents interested in receiving sandbags must show identification verifying residence within the city limits. A valid driver’s license, utility bill, or electric bill will serve as appropriate identification. There is a ten bag limit.
In anticipation of inclement weather associated with Hurricane Matthew, Hillsborough County is making sandbag materials available to the public at all three County Public Works Service Units.
Sandbags will be available at these locations:
- West Service Unit – 9805 Sheldon Road in Tampa
- South Service Unit – 8718 Old Big Bend Road in Gibsonton
- East Service Unit – 4702 Sydney Road in Plant City
Materials will be available for Hillsborough County residents to make their own sandbags. Each resident must sign their name and provide their home address acknowledging the receipt of 25 sandbags or less. An instructional video is available on YouTube.
Pasco County has opened the following sand bag locations from 7am to 5pm
East of U.S. 41
- C-Barn, 30908 Warder Rd, San Antonio
- Land O Lakes Rec Center, 3032 Collier Pkwy
- Dade City Police Dept., 38042 Pasco Ave. Dade City
- FS #2, 6907 Dairy Road, Zephyrhills
West of U.S. 41
- WPGC, 7530 State Street, New Port Richey
- Mitchell Park, 4825 Little Rd, New Port Richey
- Pinellas County will not be issuing sandbags.
The City of Winter Haven is offering sandbags in preparation for Hurricane Matthew. The City of Winter Haven will offer two locations for public sandbags. Those who may need sandbags are welcome to visit the sandbag locations at-
- Chain of Lakes Complex, 210 Cypress Gardens Blvd., 33880,
- Winter Haven Fire Station No. 2, 4700 State Road 544 N., 33881.
Sand and bags will be available 24 hours. Hours when assistance will be available on Friday will be determined after weather forecast updates are received. For more information, please contact the City of Winter Haven Streets Division, at 863-291-5852.
Manatee County Public Works Department will distribute sandbags at the following locations:
- Buffalo Creek Golf Course: 7550 69th Street East, Palmetto
- G.T. Bray: 5502 33rd Avenue Drive West, Bradenton. The location is the parking lot near 51st St W., northwest corner of entrance into Bray from 51st St west.
- Lakewood Ranch Ball Park: 5350 Lakewood Ranch Blvd, Bradenton
- Stormwater Operations, 5511 39th Street East, Bradenton
- Rubonia Community Center: 1309 72nd St E, Palmetto
Sand for bags is available at:
- Sebring: George Blvd. just North of DeSoto City Volunteer Fire Station
- Avon Park: Intersection of CR 17, E. Old Bombing Range Road and Isabelle Lake Road
- Lake Placid: Intersection of CR 619, CR 621 and Highlands Lake Drive
Bags for sand are available at:
- Avon Park area at the Road and Bridge office on E. Winthrop Street
- Lake Placid area at the Road and Bridge office on CR 621
- Sebring area at the EOC office 6850 George Blvd.
- WATCH: WFLA STORM TEAM 8 SPECIAL: Surviving the storm
- 2016 Hurricane Guide
- Hurricane-Ready: Developing a family plan
- Hurricane-Ready: Protect yourself
- Hurricane-Ready: Protect your pet
- Hurricane-Ready: Must-have supplies
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.