VICTORIA, Seychelles (AP) — Two American sisters found dead in their tropical island villa while vacationing in Seychelles died of excess fluid in their lungs, according to police in the African archipelago nation.
The bodies of Annie Marie Korkki, 37, and Robin Marie Korkki, 42, were found last week by hotel staff at the Maia resort on Mahe, Seychelles’ main island. Autopsies conducted Wednesday determined that the Minnesota natives died from acute pulmonary edema, or having fluid in their lungs, according to a police report obtained by Minnesota television station KARE.
Cerebral edema, or fluid in the brain, was also cited in Anne Korkki’s death. The report said no visible signs of injuries were found.
Police said the autopsies were conducted by a forensic pathologist in the neighboring Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. The investigation is ongoing and toxicology tests were pending, police said.
An itinerary found at the Maia hotel indicated the sisters had been touring Africa since Sept. 1, and that they had visited Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar before arriving in Seychelles on Sept. 16. Annie Korkki lived in Denver, while Robin Korkki lived in Chicago.
Their brother, Chris Korkki of Lakeville, Minnesota, told The Associated Press on Thursday that his sisters were adventurous women who wanted to experience life to the fullest.
“They were frequent travelers both domestically and internationally,” he said. “They were kind and generous and compassionate, and were wonderful people that had a positive impact on a huge number of people.”
He didn’t immediately return phone and email messages seeking comment Friday. A Seychelles police spokesman was unavailable for comment Friday, and the Maia resort has not released an official statement about the deaths.
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.