CAPE CORAL, Fla. (AP) – A southwest Florida man has been charged with raping and killing an 11-year-old girl and her babysitter 26 years ago.
The Cape Coral Daily Breeze reported Wednesday that Cape Police Chief David Newlan says detectives learned last week that a recent arrestee at the Lee County Jail matched DNA from the old crime scene. State officials confirmed the evidence matches 54-year-old Joseph Zieler.
Authorities say the bodies of 11-year-old Robin Cornell and 32-year-old Lisa Story were found in a Cape Coral apartment in May 1990. Robin’s mother had been out for the night and discovered the suffocated bodies when she returned the next morning.
Investigators didn’t immediately know of any prior connection between Zieler and the victims.
Jail records didn’t list an attorney.
FROM OUR FLORIDA COLD CASE FILES:
- Lakeland detectives crack 1998 murder case, bring closure to victim’s relatives
- Faces of 9 unidentified victims hidden from public eye
- COLD CASE MYSTERY: Remains found in Polk County identified
- Video released in Hillsborough cold case murder
- New billboards aim to solve Pinellas cold cases
- MYSTERY: Woman’s body found in 1972 still not identified
- Lakeland police solve cold cases
- COLD CASE MURDER MYSTERY: Man found floating near Courtney Campbell 25 years ago
- COLD CASE MYSTERY: Body of teenager found in Hillsborough with signs of heavy manual labor
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.