TRACKING THE TROPICS: Tracking Invest 97L as it moves toward the Caribbean

(WFLA) – The National Hurricane Center is now monitoring a disorganized area of showers and thunderstorms located about 1000 miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands. This area of storms is associated with a tropical wave that is moving to the west at around 20 miles per hour.

Invest 97L, as it’s known, has only a 20 percent chance of developing into a tropical cyclone in the next two days. The environment should become more conducive for development after that time frame. The system has an 80 percent chance of developing into a depression or tropical storm within the next five days. If Invest 97L becomes a tropical storm, it would be the 13th named storm of the 2016 Atlantic Hurricane Season. It would be given the name Matthew.

Invest 97L will likely bring rain and gusty winds to the Windward Islands and the southern Caribbean Sea.

We will continue to monitor this tropical disturbance as is continues to move westward.

RELATED: Surviving the Storm

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s