UPDATE (6:52 a.m.) – NEW YORK (AP) – New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says it’s “too early to determine specifically” whether an explosion in the city’s Chelsea neighborhood that injured 29 people Saturday night was an act of terrorism.
Also, a law enforcement official has told The Associated Press that a second device officers are investigating a few blocks from the scene of a Manhattan explosion appears to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a cellphone.
The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to talk publicly about an ongoing investigation. This person says early Sunday that the device was found inside a plastic bag on West 27th Street.
Police are advising residents of the block where the device was found to stay away from windows facing 27th Street.
Although the mayor said he couldn’t yet conclude terrorism was behind the incident, authorities in New York have called it “an intentional act.”
UPDATE (3:54 a.m. Sunday) – Authorities in New York City have removed a suspicious device discovered just blocks away from an explosion in a crowded Manhattan neighborhood that left 29 people injured. Mayor Bill de Blasio called the earlier blast in the Chelsea section an “intentional act” but said it was too early to declare it a terrorist incident.
UPDATE (2:45 a.m. Sunday): Police have removed a suspicious device from a Manhattan location four blocks from the site of an explosion that injured more than two dozen people.
The New York Police Department tweeted early Sunday that the device has been safely removed from West 27th Street by the bomb squad. Police say it was to be taken to the department firing range in the Bronx.
Police had earlier advised residents on the block where the device was found to stay away from windows facing 27th Street.
An explosion rocked the block of West 23rd Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Officials said 29 people were injured. Most of the injuries were minor.
The blast is under investigation, and Mayor Bill de Blasio said it did not appear to be an act of terrorism.
UPDATE (11:25 p.m. Saturday): New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a press conference Saturday evening that the explosion “was believed to be intentional” with “no clear evidence of terrorism yet.”
The NYPD and FBI have begun investigating, and have not yet found any connection to Saturday’s incident in New Jersey.
FDNY reports there are no life-threatening injuries among the 29 people injured.
Mayor de Blasio also said NYPD and FBI found a possible second site on 27th Street between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue in Manhattan, which has since been cleared.
The original story continues below.
NEW YORK (AP) — An apparent explosion in a crowded Chelsea neighborhood of New York City on Saturday night left 25 people with minor injuries, authorities said.
Police spokesman J. Peter Donald said on Twitter that the explosion happened at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday on West 23rd Street, which is a major thoroughfare with many restaurants.
He says several people were taken to hospitals with injuries. The Fire Department tweeted that none of the injuries appear to be life-threatening.
No detail about the extent of damage was immediately available. A number of New York City subway routes have been affected by the incident.
Chris Gonzalez, visiting from Dallas, was having dinner with friends at a restaurant in the area.
“We felt it, we heard it, the restaurant went real quiet, the 26-year-old Gonzalez said. “It wasn’t like jolting or anything, everyone just went quiet.”
Witnesses say FBI and Homeland Security officials, along with the ATF arson and explosive task force are also at the scene.
The reports of a possible blast come hours after a pipe bomb exploded in Seaside Park, New Jersey, shortly before thousands of runners participated in a charity 5K race to benefit Marines and sailors.