VIDEO: Vaporizer battery explodes while in purse

Still frame from video provided by WNBC and NBC News
Still frame from video provided by WNBC and NBC News

A woman’s purse exploded while she was checking out of a store in New Jersey this past weekend.

The incident was caught on the store’s surveillance camera. You can see black smoke spewing out of Mara McInerney’s bag.

Mcinerney quickly dumped the contents of the purse onto the floor and discovered the lithium battery inside her personal vaporizer had exploded.

Lithium batteries are often used because they pack a lot of energy into a little package.

They’re also delicate. A tiny crack, fray or defect can lead to an explosion.

There have been at least two dozen incidents of explosions and fires in personal vaporizers and e-cigarettes between 2009 and 2014.

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s