FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say an Iowa man has confessed to a 14-year-old South Florida slaying and is now charged with murder.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a news release Thursday that 38-year-old Joshua Odom walked into a police station last month in Des Moines, Iowa, and confessed to the 2002 crime. Odom has been taken to a Florida jail to face charges in the killing of 70-year-old Richard Busey of Wilton Manors.
Investigators say Odom agreed to go to Busey’s apartment for drinks and sex in April 2002 but instead killed Busey for drug money. On Aug. 11, Odom went to Des Moines police, who contacted South Florida authorities. The details Odom provided matched the crime.
Odom is charged with first-degree murder and theft. Court records don’t list an attorney.
FROM OUR FLORIDA COLD CASE FILES:
- Lakeland detectives crack 1998 murder case, bring closure to victim’s relatives
- Faces of 9 unidentified victims hidden from public eye
- COLD CASE MYSTERY: Remains found in Polk County identified
- Video released in Hillsborough cold case murder
- New billboards aim to solve Pinellas cold cases
- MYSTERY: Woman’s body found in 1972 still not identified
- Lakeland police solve cold cases
- COLD CASE MURDER MYSTERY: Man found floating near Courtney Campbell 25 years ago
- COLD CASE MYSTERY: Body of teenager found in Hillsborough with signs of heavy manual labor
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.