Boy bitten by water moccasin in Florida waits to tell his parents

Miami Dade Fire Rescue photos

(WFLA) – A 17-year-old boy declined to tell his parents Tuesday night after being bitten by a snake. By Wednesday morning the teen couldn’t even put his shoe on his swollen foot, according to Miami Dade Fire Rescue.

He then told his parents, who took him to Memorial Hospital Miramar. Venom was brought in.

Officials said the snake was a water moccasin.

“It is important to note that these snakes, when small, burrow themselves in the ground, but because of the rain, they are coming out,” officials with Miami Dade Fire Rescue said.

The snakes are most active between April and October. People who live near water bodies should wear closed-toed shoes, especially when it’s dark out.

Water moccasin bites often result in death or amputated limbs, officials said.

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s