(WFLA) – A 17-year-old boy declined to tell his parents Tuesday night after being bitten by a snake. By Wednesday morning the teen couldn’t even put his shoe on his swollen foot, according to Miami Dade Fire Rescue.
He then told his parents, who took him to Memorial Hospital Miramar. Venom was brought in.
Officials said the snake was a water moccasin.
“It is important to note that these snakes, when small, burrow themselves in the ground, but because of the rain, they are coming out,” officials with Miami Dade Fire Rescue said.
The snakes are most active between April and October. People who live near water bodies should wear closed-toed shoes, especially when it’s dark out.
Water moccasin bites often result in death or amputated limbs, officials said.