Hillsborough deputy tried to save boy, 2, and woman who died in fire

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputy ran into a burning mobile home Wednesday night with the hope of saving people trapped inside, only to be knocked backward when the fire flashed, causing an explosion.

A woman and her 2-year-old grandson died in the blaze. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputy Dane Tewmey suffered burns to his arms and hands.

Deputies responded to a 911 call about a mobile home fire at Garden Lane and Clewis Ave in Tampa. shortly after 11 p.m. on Wednesday.

When deputies arrived, they saw that the single wide mobile home was fully engulfed in flames. Deputies spotted an adult male, 43 on the ground suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns.

The man said his advised his mother and a child were in the house. Deputies could hear a female yelling from inside. Deputy Dane Tewmey immediately entered the home to rescue the occupants.

“And then we heard the little boy screaming.  And ….. It was bad, ” a neighbor, Emma Izzy, said. “All I hear is that little boy.  Whew.  I have two kids.  I have a four year old and a one year old.  This is hard.”

Deputy Tewmey reached the adult female and was attempting to remove her from the home when the fire flashed and caused an explosion. Deputy Tewmey was knocked backward and received burns to his arms and hands. Deputy Tewmey tried to push forward back into the home, however, the fire was to intense to go back in.

Firefighters with Hillsborough County Fire Rescue quickly arrived and were able to put out the fire. Upon searching the residence, firefighters found a 58-year-old female and 2-year-old male were deceased inside.

Tentative identification of the victims have been made, however official positive identification will be made by the Medical Examiner’s Office.

The State Fire Marshals Office, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office and HCSO detectives are conducting a joint investigation to determine the cause and origin of the fire and official cause of death.

Deputy Tewmey was transported to a local hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation, burns to his arms and hands and was later released. He was not available for a comment.

Get our hottest stories
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for News Channel 8’s Noon Newsletter to get
updates on the day’s top stories

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s