Do you have a book in you? Tara Richter, an author and owner of Richter Publishing, shares her advice on how to get that first book down on paper.
5 Tips to start writing Your Book
1) Utilize spare time on vacation. Waiting in the airport delayed flights, jot down ideas. On the airplane use iPhone or iPad & blue tooth keyboard to type out thoughts on the notepad.
2) Carry an idea pad. Travel inspires creativity, hone in on it & jot them down as soon as they come into mind. Once we give our brain a rest from the day to day routine, new ideas pop in. Don’t forget them!
3) Start a blog. With your new ideas start a blog & write in the blog 2-3 days a week. After a few months you’ll have enough info to flesh out a rough draft.
4) Make it a game with the family. Long car ride? Come up with a plot & a few characters & tell the story around the car. Each person makes up a few sentences & picks up the story line where the other ends. Record it on your iPhone w voice memos to listen to later if some excellent ideas came up.
5) Read more. During your vacation pick up more books and read more to get your ideas flowing. Anytime I have a creative block I buy a book about overcoming blocks and read it. Or read something similar to the topic you’re writing about.