Woman dies from amoebic infection after rafting trip

CNN Image

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — An Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba that is naturally present in warm fresh water.

North Carolina’s Department of Health and Human Services said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control suspects Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The name of the person who died Sunday wasn’t officially released, but The Columbus Dispatch identified her as 18-year-old Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio.

The victim’s only known underwater exposure was thought to be when a raft overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-

Get our hottest stories
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for News Channel 8’s Noon Newsletter to get
updates on the day’s top stories

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s