MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — A face representing “rolling on the floor laughing” and a hand taking a selfie are among 72 new emojis that will soon make their way to your smartphone.
The California-based Unicode Consortium, which controls emoji standards, has released a list of the new characters. Other highlights include emojis representing a pregnant woman and Mrs. Claus.
One proposed emoji that didn’t make the cut is that of a rifle. The weapon was proposed as part of a group of emojis representing Olympic sports ahead of the upcoming Games. Buzzfeed News reports that both Apple and Microsoft argued against including the rifle.
Neither company immediately responded to a request for comment.
SEE MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- 7-vehicle crash kills 4 on I-4 in Polk, WB lanes closed
- Black bear caught in yard of home near Adventure Island in Tampa
- 2016 Florida Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- FBI releases conversations between Orlando gunman and police
- Odessa youth minister arrested on sexual battery charges
- ‘Star Trek’ actor Anton Yelchin dies in car crash at age 27
- FBI releasing conversations between Orlando gunman and police
- Florida parents arrested in death of toddler who had morphine in his system
- Check your Ticketmaster account, free tickets might be waiting for you
- North Port officers celebrate birthday of boy with autism after no one responds to invites