BENNINGTON, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say an 11-year-old girl has died after lightning toppled a tree onto a cabin at a southeastern Indiana camp.
The Switzerland County Sheriff’s Office says the girl, three adult camp counsellors and other campers were inside the cabin about 2 a.m. Tuesday when the tree fell on the building. It says she was pronounced dead at the scene, at Camp Livingston in Bennington, about 40 miles southwest of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Camp Livingston officials posted a message on its Facebook page saying no one else was injured and that the girl’s name won’t be released.
Several rounds of storms passed through the area early Tuesday. The National Weather Service warned of high winds, heavy rain and frequent lightning.
SEE MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- 7-vehicle crash kills 4 on I-4 in Polk, WB lanes closed
- Black bear caught in yard of home near Adventure Island in Tampa
- 2016 Florida Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- FBI releases conversations between Orlando gunman and police
- Odessa youth minister arrested on sexual battery charges
- ‘Star Trek’ actor Anton Yelchin dies in car crash at age 27
- FBI releasing conversations between Orlando gunman and police
- Florida parents arrested in death of toddler who had morphine in his system
- Check your Ticketmaster account, free tickets might be waiting for you
- North Port officers celebrate birthday of boy with autism after no one responds to invites