FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – A South Florida deputy is facing 29 child sex-related charges, including sexual assault and using a computer in an attempt to lure a child for sex.
Authorities say 43-year-old Sgt. Kreg Costa of the Broward Sheriff’s Office was arrested Thursday and was being held without bail. Costa’s attorney said in a statement that he will be exonerated.
Investigators say staff at Costa’s office noticed he was staying in his office during the night shift with the lights off and his service belt removed. A check into Costa’s computer showed he was viewing websites dedicated to hardcore pornography, incest and bondage-dominance while at work.
Authorities say Costa also exchanged sexually explicit emails and videos with a 16-year-old girl.
Costa, a deputy since 1999, has been suspended with pay since April 24.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Girl, 15, commits suicide after friends share nude Snapchat video
- Gator captured in Polk lake had human remains in stomach
- Heroic deputy talks about thwarting abduction
- Nature Made vitamins recalled
- Cops: Woman poured vodka in boy’s eyes at hotel pool, kicked officer in groin
- Bradenton community mourns loss of tree from Tropical Storm Colin
- Workout Craze: Aerial Fitness
- >>Back to the homepage for the latest breaking and local news stories of the day