PINELLAS COUNTY, FL (WFLA) — Beginning Friday morning, westbound traffic on Ulmerton Road will be shifted onto a temporary alignment, south of the current westbound lane between 38th St. and 49th St.
This traffic shift will provide the contractor with the necessary space to remove the southbound Roosevelt bridge currently over Ulmerton, as well as the construction of new westbound lanes and a new intersection of Ulmerton and southbound Roosevelt, to the south of the St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport.
The current single lane southbound Roosevelt ramp will be replaced with a temporary single left turn lane at a new signalized intersection onto Ulmerton.
Additionally, as part of the traffic shift, driveways on the north side of Ulmerton between southbound Roosevelt and Automobile Drive will have a shared temporary access point that will be marked with blue business signs.
When complete, the new at-grade intersection will include three left-turn lanes from southbound Roosevelt to eastbound Ulmerton.
This reconfiguration is in preparation for the upcoming Gateway Expressway Project, which will build a new elevated controlled access roadway which connects US-19 and the Bayside Bridge to I-275 in central Pinellas County.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Tropical Storm “Colin” likely, Florida prepares for heavy rain
- VIDEO: Off-duty Florida lifeguard rescues shark
- 8 Investigates: Pasco teacher locks autistic child in dark room
- Recall Recap: Top recalls to know about this week
- Say Cheese! St. Pete Grilled Cheese Festival this weekend
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines