KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) – A South Florida man has been arrested after deputies say he was found with a decapitated shark in his cooler in the Florida Keys.
Multiple news agencies report the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says 39-year-old Angel Velazquez was arrested Wednesday and charged with a second-degree misdemeanor in connection with the incident.
Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Becky Herrin says a deputy was on patrol that morning when he saw Velazquez fishing on the bridge between Ramrod Key and Middle Torch Key.
She says when the deputy checked Velazquez’s cooler, he found a bonnethead shark that had been gutted and beheaded.
Florida law prohibits anyone in or on state waters from possessing a shark that has been beheaded, filleted, skinned, or finned.
It’s unclear whether Velazquez has an attorney.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Grieving parents of concertgoer who overdosed want changes at festival
- While You Were Sleeping: Working overnight for Publix
- Drug overdoses suspected in deaths of 2 Tampa concertgoers
- Woman finds human body parts in freezer she bought from neighbor
- Hernando man accused of peeping into teen’s window, masturbating
- Hooks with hidden cameras found in women’s restrooms in Florida Keys
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines