CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — Clearwater Police detectives say a body found by a fisherman in the Gulf is that of a man who jumped from the Memorial Causeway Bridge early Thursday morning.
A Clearwater police department spokesperson said the fisherman found the body about two miles west of Clearwater Beach in the Gulf of Mexico early Thursday afternoon.
The 48-year-old man, whose identity is not being released at this time, reportedly jumped from the Memorial Causeway Bridge around 12:30 a.m. while walking with a friend.
Two men were walking across the bridge shortly after midnight when they started talking about a dare for each of them to jump from the bridge. One man told officers that the other man jumped.
There was a delay of at least 30 to 45 minutes before it was reported.
Detectives were trying to ascertain if the incident did occur.
Clearwater firefighters and the Coast Guard searched the area south of the Memorial Causeway Bridge on Thursday morning.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Grieving parents of concertgoer who overdosed want changes at festival
- While You Were Sleeping: Working overnight for Publix
- Drug overdoses suspected in deaths of 2 Tampa concertgoers
- Woman finds human body parts in freezer she bought from neighbor
- Hernando man accused of peeping into teen’s window, masturbating
- Hooks with hidden cameras found in women’s restrooms in Florida Keys
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines